Country of incorporation:
At first sight, CryptoStorm is a VPN that brags a lot, and excels in using buzzwords and self-promotion to further its interests. On the official website, for example, it says that they are a “no compromise network security: opensource, anonymous token auth”, along with other very admirable claims.
We’ll see in the following review that the situation is certainly not a matter of excellence and professionalism, but rather one of exaggerated self-praise.
- No-logging policy
- Good encryption protocols based on OpenVPN
- P2P torrenting allowed
- Accepts Bitcoin as a payment method
- Token-based payment option, increasing anonymity
- WebRTC leaks (IPv6)
- Known associations with Douglas Spink
Before we get to the review itself, we’ll talk a little about who Douglas Spink is, and why his associations with CryptoStorm should make you think twice before enlisting their services.
Here’s some info on the man:
- He was an American businessman and known adrenaline junkie who bankrupted in 2002
- He’s known to be an advocator of zoophilia, convicted numerous times for the owning of bestiality farms in Canada, and other similar websites
- Convicted for smuggling 375 pounds of cocaine, sentenced to 17 years in prison, but only served 3
- From 2005 to 2016, the man was convicted and has run afoul of the law numerous times for going against the court orders
Also, Bloomberg is still listing him as the Chief Technology Officer of Baneki Privacy Computing Inc. The company is known to have been associated and possibly even owned CryptoCloud, the former VPN service that CryptoStorm is built upon.
Even though the team at CryptoStorm denied any connections to Spink, they once said that after his release from prison, he had shown interest and even begun to work on the website. The two claims appear to be contradictory and rather strange.
However, speaking of the official website of our VPN for today, it really is written in a style that reminds of Spink. As such, the evidence all points to the fact that he was involved in the creation and maintenance of CryptoStorm.
Whether he’s still the master puppeteer behind the organization or not, that’s a question mark for now.