Written by: Elizabeth March
In this guide we will be teaching you how to install Kodi on a Chromecast device. Follow these quick and easy steps and can run Kodi on any Chromecast device within just a few minutes. Many similar guides on the internet for some reason seem to be very complicated (for something that should not be complicated) so I have attempted to make a very easy to follow guide here.
Kodi is an open-source software created for home entertainment. It’s completely free and can be downloaded onto any device. Initially it was created with the Microsoft Xbox in mind and was called XBMC (Xbox Media Center) but now it has evolved way over its original scope.
It’s completely open source, meaning it’s run by a non-profit organisation and developed by hundreds of individual coders all around the globe. With Kodi you can store your online content in a single place and have access to live online TV and music streams from all across the globe for free.
A Chromecast is a device that you use with your TV and your smartphone or computer as TV remote. Chromecast will allow you to stream content from your devices like phones or computer directly unto your TV screen without having to connect your device with your TV using a HDMI cable.
Keep in mind that you can’t stream Kodi content to Chromecast from an Apple iOS device. As such, for this guide we will use Android only.
There are two ways how to stream content to Chromecast from your Kodi Android device. The long way and the short way.
The long way:
1. You will have to download ES File Explorer, Kodi, LocalCast and the XML file PlayerFactorCore.xml
2. Open ES File Explorer, go to Settings -> Display Settings and tick “Show hidden files”
3. Ensure that Kodi is connected to the Kodi app.
4. Now go to ES File Explorer and open the Downloads folder.
5. Find PlayerFactoryCore.xml you dowloaded from step 1
6. Copy the PlayerFactoryCore.xml file and go to Android | Data and look for either “org.xbmc.kodi” or “org.xbmc.xbmc”
7. Open the appropriate file mentioned above and click on Files | .kodi (or .xbmc) | userdata and then paste the PlayerFactoryCore.xml file here.
8. Open Kodi and go to the video file you want to launch.
9. Kodi will then launch LocalCast
10. After this just press “Play” and select the device where you want to stream to.
11. Click “Play” in more time and you are good to go.
The short way:
1. Open Chromecast on your Android device
2. On the menu select “Cast screen/audio” and connect to your Chromecast
3. Open Kodi and find the video you want to stream
4. It will now play on both devices
The reason I would suggest you use the long version is because that way the video will not play on both devices, meaning your phone battery will not deplete too rapidly. It’s a bit longer but much less battery consuming.
Many people would want to stream content directly from their PC because this way they can keep much larger files on their PCs and stream them directly onto their computers.
1. (If you didn’t already) Download Google Chrome and the Chromecast app for PC and have a Kodi client installed as well.
2. Have Chrome installed with the Chromecast extension.
3. In Chrome, from the Chromecast extension select “Cast”
4. You will then see “Cast this tab to…”. On the right there will be a down arrow which you will have to click and select “Cast entire screen”.
5. Now your entire computer will be streamed to your TV.
6. Finally Open Kodi and launch a video to stream.
It is really this simple to use a Chromecast device with Kodi. It might seem complicated at first but once you have done all the above at least one time it will become extremely easy to you afterwards.
Yes, Kodi is absolutely legal to use. It’s an open source software that is free to download and legal any any jurisdiction and country. Because it’s open source it has many add-ons, including add-ons that allow you to stream copyrighted content too. We’re not condoning piracy here, just pointing out that it’s possible to use Kodi for those purposes too.
Keep in mind that if you are located in certain countries such as the United States, Canada, Germany, the United Kingdom and some others you can get into legal trouble if you use Kodi to stream illegal and copyrighted content.
In order to enhance your privacy and ensure that no one will be able to track what you stream and browse online, you should always use a VPN with Kodi.
A VPN will create a secure and encrypted layer between your device and the servers you are streaming from using Kodi. What this means is that no one will be able to know who you actually are, where you are located at, and what kind of content you stream.
Because all your web traffic will be encrypted and the encryption keys stored locally on your device (if you use a privacy friendly VPN such as NordVPN), absolutely no one will ever know what kind of content you stream. Ever.
The best VPN for Kodi in our experience is NordVPN. This is because it has extremely fast servers optimised for streaming HD and even 4k content. You will never experience any buffering issues and never experience any reductions of image quality.
And the second reason why NordVPN is excellent for Kodi is because it has a zero-logs policy, meaning that there will be no records kept of any kind regarding your web traffic and browsing and streaming activities. None whatsoever.
Also, NordVPN used advanced encryption and stores all encryption keys locally on your computer or phone. This means that the only way for anyone to figure our what you do on the internet is to have physical access to your device. Your web traffic will be completely obfuscated and un-decryptable even to your ISP!
NordVPN only costs $2.75 per month for VPNTeacher.com readers. That’s 77% off the normal price available on their website.